Re: life forms and forms of life

Richard Povall (Richard.Povall@oberlin.edu)
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 12:41:02 +0000

Scott wrote:

>I do not consider political issues to be "irrelevant noise". I simply
>believe that they often fall outside the scope of this list.

Sorry all, I know this thread is becoming a little tiresome, but Scott's
statement here is precisely why the arts are in such dire straits in the
States. The attitude that we are not political animals and that we owe no
allegiance to our society at large as well as to our art (and that IS the
implication here) is what has led to the total disenfranchisement of
artists and a collapse in federal and state funding (which in turn has
affected colateral funding from non-governmental bodies). The time to
re-engage and turn things around may have already passed...

Happy Hols...

R i c h a r d P o v a l l
Director, Div. of Contemp. Music/Assoc. Prof of Computer Music/New Media.
Visiting Researcher, Exeter College of Art & Design, Exeter, UK.
TIMARA/Studio 5, Oberlin Conservatory of Music, Oberlin College
Oberlin, OH 44074 USA
Voice: +1.440.775.1016 | Fax: +1.440.775.8942
email: Richard.Povall@oberlin.edu
website: http://www.timara.oberlin.edu/people/~rpovall/home.html