Re: Marketing Dance

Bala Sarasvati (bsarasva@coe.uga.edu)
Tue, 9 Jun 1998 17:20:30 -0400 (EDT)

>At 13:42 8/06/98 -0700, you wrote:
>>I've recently seen an advertising medium which seems to have a lot of
>>promise and I was wondering if anyone has tried it. A few companies are
>>putting out displays in cafes and clubs of free postcards on a nice, glossy
>>stock,
>
>Such cards are widely used for dance and theatre performance promotion here
>in Auckland, New Zealand. They're not free, by any means, but are
>relatively inexpensive (compared to newspaper advertising) and seem to be
>pretty effective for direct selling/targeted promotion - placed in cafes,
>galleries, bookstores, campus drop off places, theatre counters and so on,
>and mailed to your mailing list and target audience members.
>
>-Raewyn

I have been using postcards since 1987 as an advertising means for
presenting dance at various venues in NYC. A decade later, I continue to
find these a very cost effective means of advertising an event in cities
outside of NY. The postcards are distributed as Raewyn described above. I
find that we can print 1000's of 4-color postcards for same price as a few
hundred posters. We have had great results and many people appreciate the
postcard as a momento of the
concert.

Bala