Darren's resolution -- was [Plants = Infinity]

David Rodger (auricle@alphalink.com.au)
Sat, 16 May 1998 08:30:42 +1000

On 12 May, Darren wrote:

>* All my anxiety about patents, originality, and my uncertain future
> vanished. We are all dealing with an infinity, and there is more than
> enough room within this infinity for each and every contributor.

A message arrived _after_ this (although it might have been sent before
this one; that's what happens when you live at the arse-end of the world!)
in which Darren said (in "Non-contact interactive dance"):

>I would be EVER so thankful for any tips about serious funding
>possibilities, at least before my provisional patent applications
>run out.

Clearly, Darren, you _are_ worried about patents and the marketability of
Drancing or any work using it may depend on them. As for "every
contributor", one of those contributors (perhaps with whom you might share
some information about Drancing) might see an opportunity to swipe your
ideas. Best to have some form of intellectual property rights, I think.
David Clark's throwing mere morsals to the list is a bit frustrating for us
tech-heads, but quite understandable.

>* I realised why it is I love live performance, be it dance, music,
> or whatever, and why I especially love improvisation. Surrounded by
> DJs and slick "highly reproducible" and safe forms,

Woolly caps and baggy trousers brigade? As the venerable Nick Rothwell
once said: So how do I sellotape these torches to my glasses?

>Probably too obvious to even mention here, but it helps me. I have now
>definitely decided to give up formal physics and to continue development
>of Drancing and promotion of my music in Sydney.

Good luck to you.

Regards, David

David Rodger ------------ Audio Engineer, Pool Lifeguard, RLSS Trainer
E-mail: auricle@alphalink.com.au
Personal: http://www.alphalink.com.au/~auricle/ (not yet exciting)
Research: http://farben.latrobe.edu.au/motion/ (a bit more exciting)
"Officially the La Trobe Music Department is in existance for the next
2 years and will close on 31 December, 1999. (This is really just our
way of avoiding the Y2K bug)." -- David Hirst
http://farben.latrobe.edu.au/Music_Docs/pressrelease.html