Re: references/

Sandi Kurtz (sandik@slime.atmos.washington.edu)
Sun, 4 Jan 1998 22:36:17 -0800 (PST)

I'm not sure I agree with your desire to get permission to quote from an
electronic author in order to quote them in other writing. It seems to me
that posting a website is tantamount to publishing, and that the standard
rules of attribution would apply (although considering the malleable
nature of web published materials it's very important to pin down the date
of the work you're citing)

Messages to a listserv or a newsgroup could be different -- they're more
private and often written in more haste. Perhaps they should be treated
as private correspondance is now?

Just a thought.

sandi kurtz