Re: Did you get what was supposed to be happening?

Richard Lord (richard@bigroom.co.uk)
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 01:15:53 +0000

Dear Robert

I wasn't at IDAT - couldn't afford to come (maybe people saw me on the
SHIFTS link with London) so I didn't experience the events there. But I
find it rather depressing when people are worried that the audience may
not be clear about what the grey box in the corner is doing. It's a grey
box in the corner. It may be a supercomputer mediating beteween many
media, or it may just be an ice box keeping the beers cold for after the
performance. The important matter is the performance itself. If the
audience need to understand what the grey box is doing then someone
(either the audience or the choreographer) is missing the point. I don't
care what lighting controller a production is using and how it works. I
don't care whether the music is on CD, DAT or mpeg3 streamed from the
web. I only care what it looks and sounds like. Sometimes the
choreographer considers the understanding of the technology to be an
integral part of appreciating the performance, but more often it's just a
means to an end. And as an audience member it's that end that matters.

I suspect that many choreographers neither expected you to discern what
the technology was doing, nor considered it a challenge that you try to
discern it. They may rather have hoped you'd sit back and enjoy the
performance.

As a choreographer working with technology, that's how I feel. If you
were to see one of my productions and were upset because you didn't know
how it was done I'd find that rather ludicrouse because I don't set out
to explain how it's done. I understand that you, as someone working with
technology, want to know how it's done but if you want to know this you
should ask me. If you want to see a performance then watch it, listen to
it, and react to what you see and hear.

Perhaps in one key respect you and I differ. I don't consider dance-tech
per se as a new medium. The web is a new medium (and many know of my work
with it), but most dance-tech is new tools used within old media - the
stage, live installation, television, film...

These tools simply extend what we can produce, but the product is what
matters. I feel we should have stopped worrying about how it's made a
long time ago, and instead we should concern ourselves with what is made
and why it's made. Employ the same critical faculties we use when viewing
dance-non-tech and dance-tech will mature to join the real world. Then
we'll all be normal choreographers again and this mailing list will find
a new purpose. Not that I don't like talking to you all but I don't
consider myself an odd/techie/sort of choreographer working in some
new-fangled field. I'm just a choreographer with some uncommon skills.

That's my two euro's worth.

Best wishes,

Richard