Re: Dance at LSC and in Europe

Jean-Marc Matos (kdmatos@worldnet.fr)
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 12:59:26 +0200

Hello Chris Bodwitch,

Thank you very much for your message on LSC.
I am a french choreographer living and working in Paris, France.
I would be more than happy to present to you the type of work we do here (you can
check the K. Danse company at http://www.metafort.com/kdanse/).
For your information: the company will be performing in Paris between September 30th
and October 10th, two pieces involving "dance and tech": "Touch" (co conceived with
video artist Cathy Vogan, originally from Australia) and a short preview of
"Regards", the company's latest piece.
The performing space is called Espace Kiron (Paris, 11th arrondissement).
I will also be involved, from October 5th to 25th, in a creative and experimental
workshop with Isabelle Choini¸re, choreographer from Montreal, at the Center for New
Media (Canadian Cultural Center of Paris): we attempt to integrate movement to sound
and image interactivity together with "on line" transmission and tele-presence.
And quite a lot more...
If you come to Paris at this time I will connect you with all of this happening, and
other choreographers' work in the french capital, and in other places in France.
We are also doing some very interesting work in collaboration with an ingineering
school (INSA) of Rouen and , in the near future, with the IRIT (Research Center on
Computer Sciences) of Toulouse.
Quite a lot to tell you about!
Looking forward to hear again from you.
Best regards.
Jean-Marc Matos

K. Danse
7 Avenue Parmentier 75011 Paris France
tel/fax: 00 33 (0) 1 43 79 15 13
PS: the company's site is still in french (the english and spanish translation
will come soon).

cbodwitc wrote:

> Hello to everyone,
>
> This message is twofold:
>
> First, I would like to introduce myself and an exciting project that is
> happening where I work. My name is Chris Bodwitch and I am a choreographer as
> well as Project Manager for Body Instruments dance series at Liberty Science
> Center (LSC) in Jersey City, New Jersey. In this series, four companies will
> research the scientific concepts associated with one of LSC's three themes of
> Environment, Health and Invention respectively and create workshops and new
> works in the museum. In addition, each company will explore and integrate
> various technologies such as, digital audio/video sampling, machine kinetics,
> and remote midi control into their works. The series will provide LSC's guests
> with an unique opportunity to experience cutting-edge choreography that also
> extends their knowledge of science.
>
> The companies are Mary Seidman and Dancers (NYC), Rhombus Dance (Jersey City,
> NJ), Troika Ranch (Brooklyn, NY) and Everett Dance Theatre (Providence, RI).
> If you would like to receive a brochure, please email me your address.
>
> Secondly, I am performing in Germany in September and will (hopefully) visit
> Paris (Cite des Sciences) and possibly Austria (Technishes Museum Wien) and of
> course Deutsches Museum in Munich. I would like to visit other science museums
> and/or art centers.
>
> - Does anyone have any recommendations of centers/artists that are incorporating
> dance/performance and technology in their work or programs. I would like to
> expand LSC's connections abroad to this new genre and possibly bring some
> international performers to LSC at some point or create an exchange. I would
> also love to see what is going on in Europe for my own personal interest. If you
> have suggestions or questions regarding any of the aforementioned material
> please contact me.
>
> chris
>
> Contact via:
> voice: 201.451.0006 x226
> email: cbodwitc@lsc.org
> address:
> 203 Washington St.
> Jersey City, NJ 07302

Attachment converted: Roustabout:Dtzinfo.doc (WDBN/MSWD) (00024BE3)