Re: Workshops

Mary-Lou Michael (loulou@adam.com.au)
Sun, 26 Oct 1997 21:35:35 +0000

Dawn Stoppiello wrote:

> >also, the question arose of the necessity of the technology. For it
> >to be effective should the audience be aware that the dancers have the
> >ability to control the sound... or will it still appear simply as if
> >these sounds were already pre-recorded? Has anyone else come across
> >this dilemma?
>
> **Oh yes! Just keep asking questions, you will continue to find new answers
> which will lead to new questions. I think the answer to this particular
> question is aesthetic. It is up to you, it also depends on the piece you
> are making, the content. Most of us on this list have faced this and have
> each answered it in our own way and with varying degrees of "success"
> (personal and audience reception).
>
> >I thought this equipment seemed far more versatile than a whole body
> >suit... while the joystick must be directed towards the sensor, the
> >students were able to turn and move quite actively without causing too
> >many disturbances.
>
> **How small of a joystick?
It is like the one you use when playing a computer game... like car
racing!!
Do they hold it in their hand or is the joystick
> fixed to the ground?
They hold it in their hand.
Do they have to move their hand in a traditional kind
> of joy stick way?
Side to side around...you can do a full turn and sweep your hand over
your head, while still keeping the button pressed on the joystick.
When you say the "the students were able to turn and move
> quite actively without causing too many disturbances" do you mean that they
> could move freely without the responsibility of being interactive at some
> moments then fall into interactive mode by grabbing onto the joystick to
> make their desired media results?
The sound they select from the program continues to be activated even
after about 7 seconds of holding the button on the joystick. I am
trying to get a mental picture of
> this stick...can you tell me more?
I hope this has answered everything?

> All in all it sounds like the students enjoyed themselves and learned new
> information yes?
Most of the students really enjoyed the experience, especially the
final session. It took them a while to relax with the equipment. It
was a bit like giving an experienced and confident painter access to
Mac Paint for the first time. What do they do? They scibble!! They
play! Once they have understood the technology their confidence
improves and they go for it... they apply their previously learnt
skills.
What is the School of the Future? Sounds intriguing.
School of the future is basically a series of buildings set aside by
DECS, to provide SA students with access to sophisticated technology,
their schools don't yet have. The staff there are trained in both
education and technolgy... but they had never befor done anything with
dance!!
They are currently building a larger space that can accomodate more
activity.

Hope this is all clear!
Cheers Mary-Lou