Re: Webbed Feats Tomorrow

Scott deLahunta (sdela@ahk.nl)
Fri, 19 Sep 1997 01:59:05 +0200

technicians --- I agree that something different happens and will continue
to happen when the means for making something (like video/ cdrom) are made
technically available to people who are then able to spend less time
figuring out how to make the thing work. So, the "template" idea, as you
say, may open up some doors. But in terms of filmmakers, I have something
else to add... which I think is interesting. Filmmaking (of the large
project variety) relies on the cinematographer who is usually an avowed
'technician'. Take the documentary on 'cinematographers' called *Visions of
Light* (I don't know the producer). It's a wonderful history of
cinematography and cinematographers since the beginning of film... silent
films --> film noir --> contemporary. In it, the cinematographers
consistently refer to themselves as 'craftsmen, not artists', and yet there
is no denying their impact on the 'artistry' of film -- any film director
would attest to this. So, I think strict divisions between who and who is
not creative could be dangerous.

Scott

At 06:00 PM 9/18/97 -0400, Dennis wrote:
>Scott....Template idea......
>Choreographers, Video makers, filmmakers work in the world of a monarchy.
>It is not a democracy...so a template that would allow these people to work
>without the constant aid of a technician would be a terrific start to
>expanding this field. It was not long ago that the following people were
>needed to "archive a dance concert" director, camera person, audio engineer,
>video engineer and a truck to move the equipment. Now, one person can be
>all those people with producing excellent video quality
>
>As with video, take it out of the hands of the technicians and put it in
>the hands of the creators.
Scott deLahunta and Susan Rethorst
Writing Research Associates, NL
Sarphatipark 26-3, 1072 PB Amsterdam, NL
tel: +31 (0)20 662 1736
fax: +31 (0)20 470 1558
email: sdela@ahk.nl
http://huizen.dds.nl/~sdela/wra (WRITING RESEARCH ASSOCIATES)