Re: serious work

Dennis Diamond (dennis.videod@worldnet.att.net)
Sun, 7 Sep 1997 12:29:24 -0400

re: Steve's letter about Sarah.. Please note I only saw Steve's letter and
missed the discussion
and based upon my experience: Bad reviews spread like wildfire while good
reviews are over
looked" This is a small experimental field. All projects need to be
encouraged. If any of you saw my
first performance YY years ago you would have begged me to quit!

Dennis

> From: Stephan Koplowitz <SKoplowitz@packer.edu>
> To: dance-tech@lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
> Subject: Re: serious work
> Date: Friday, September 05, 1997 6:24 PM
>
> dance-tech@lists.acs.ohio-state.edu,Internet writes:
> so i must take exception to
> "(or perhaps _particularly_ its attendant hype) is more
> likely to hurt serious work with dance and technology than promote it."
>
> 'cuz a truely 'serious' piece - will sooner or later - stand on its own
merits

> its not the presence of "failed to be serious" work that hurts dance and
> technology it is its absence
>

> so's i have a question to you dance techer's ... what is serious work?
> where is it? ... why do we need it?
>
> Dear Nik,
>
> Thank you so much for your response (the whole thing..)
>
> Look, I don't know what the protocol is in these listserv's etc....and
perhaps
> I missed something, but if Sarah is actually the choreographer or the
person
> most responsible for "leaping into the net" performance, I frankly found
Mr.
> Povall's response to her work quite unfair to Sarah...surely those words
could
> have been sent to her privately (perhaps he could have initiated a
dialogue
> with her prior to making his post...)....this kind of posting makes me
really
> question what is the real purpose of this group? Someone help me out
here, what
> did the folks who started this group intend? Is it to rip into people's
work
> in front of an audience of readers many of whom have not seen the same
work?
> This doesn't seem to be bringing anyone "together" or seem to make for a
very
> inviting atmosphere for dialogue and exchange...I'm not saying that Mr.
Povall
> should in anyway change his opinion about the work or not share it but
this
> kind of instant dialogue with a 100 people can get sticky...it's like
being at
> a party with a bunch of people and then stopping everyone's conversations
> say: "hey everyone, Sarah's work sucked! just thought you should know!"
> Etiquette at such a gathering would be to approach Sarah and ask her a
few
> questions....how did she feel the concert went? What would she do
differently
> next time? What were her GOALS and intentions...? We have this technology
that
> enables us to contact people easily and privately, it would seem we
should use
> it with discretion....but I'm sure I've got the wrong model of what this
> listserv or any listserv is but I can't help but write that I felt quite
> chill by Mr. Povalls words and to be fair to him, perhaps he did not mean
for
> them to come off as "chilly" as they did....
>
> "Sorry to seem so negative, Sarah if you're listening...." Is Sarah a
part of
> this listserv? If she is not, it would be fair for Mr. Povall to have
sent his
> post to her too....I'm assuming she is a member and will ultimately
"listen" to
> his words.....
>
> Personally, I have no interest in making "serious work" or anything
remotely
> resembling anything connected to nonlinear, non-narrative whatever....if
I've
> signed up somewhere to pass that litmus test get me out of here....terms
like
> "serious work" are terms that ultimately have no meaning...is a work less
> serious because it is popular? is Pop music less serious than
contemporary
> concert fare? Did the Beatles write "serious" music or was it Charles
Ives? or