Re: Dimension Beam

Richard Povall (Richard.Povall@oberlin.edu)
Wed, 18 Jun 1997 21:45:17 +0700

>Richard Povall wrote:
>> Most of the IR beam sensing systems I've seen merely sense distance
>> from their source. I did a project with six of them, but there was MASSES
>> of spurious data coming into the system that was very difficult to deal
>> with, even using a variety of filters with MAX.
>
>Is that six of one type in a single work, or six diffrent systems? How do
>these things work? Is it reflection of IR (more light sensed = closer)?

I was using six of one type in a single work, essentially encirling a solo
dancer, and each of the six was mapped to a different parameter at any
given time (or actually, each pair of three pairs was mapped to a different
parameter). I attempted to setup the beams so that they didn't interfere
with one another. I don't think they were IR, but ultrasonic, based I
think on the Polaroid rangefinder.

R i c h a r d P o v a l l
Assoc. Prof of Computer Music and New Media
MPO Box 0332 TIMARA/Studio 5
Oberlin, OH 44074-0332 USA Oberlin Conservatory of Music
Voice: +1.216.775.1016 Oberlin College
Fax: +1.216.775.8942 Oberlin, OH 44074 USA
email: Richard.Povall@oberlin.edu
website: http://timara.con.oberlin.edu/~RPovall/RPHome.html