Re: Academic 3-D suite

nik (nik@websciences.org)
Sat, 10 May 1997 09:36:00 -0800

At 2:05 PM 5/9/97, Lynn Brooks wrote:
>My colleage who teaches video/film here at my school just deposited a
>brochure on my desk for an animations program called "Academic 3D Suite"
>from Fractal Design. It's advertised at $179 (and adds that it's a value
>of $339). My colleague told me that this is outrageously inexpensive for
>an animations program, but said he knows nothing about this product. It has
>3 components: Poser 2, Detailer, and Ray Dream Studio. Has anybody had
>experience with this material? Is it useful?
>
>Thanks.
>

>Lynn Brooks
>Director of the Dance Program
>Editor, DANCE RESEARCH JOURNAL
>Franklin & Marshall College,
>Lancaster PA 17604-3003
>Phone: 717-291-4204
>Fax: 717-291-3969
>E-mail: L_BROOKS@ACAD.FANDM.EDU

It also depends on your time. If you know your going to do 3D then u
should condsider packages that will be there when u grow. But poser 2, and
detailer are worth $179. U probably won't ever use Ray Dream Studio for
serious work - but it might be useful to figure out if u want to do the 3d
thing.

Also poser 2 meshes don't export into other packages well.

nik

p.s.

DANCE RESEARCH JOURNAL?

what is this about?

nik

~ the dnc project - dance, networks, computing

http://www.websciences.org/dnc/

Everyone knows that dragons don't exist. But while this simplistic
formulation may satisfy the layman, it does not suffice for the
scientific mind. The School of Higher Neantical Nillity is in fact
wholly unconcerned with what does exist. Indeed, the banality of
existence has been so amply demonstrated, there is no need for us to
discuss it any further here. The brilliant Cerebron, attacking the
problem analytically, discovered three distinct kinds of dragon: the
mythical, the chimerical, and the purely hypothetical. They were all,
one might say, nonexistent, but each nonexisted in an entirely
different way ...
-- Stanislaw Lem, "Cyberiad"