Re: max and director

Wayne Siegel (wsiegel@daimi.au.dk)
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 09:08:25 +0100

Jacques,

It strikes me that with the setup you mention you might want to forget
about MIDI and have the two Macs communicate via serial cable or
ethernet using appletalk. I did this in my science fiction opera in 1994
where Director had to be synchronized with live musicians and singers.
The keyboard player's MIDI keyboard was connected to a Mac running MAX.
On certain cues, MAX would send ASCII out the serial port using the
standard "serial" object in MAX. Director was set up to receive ASCII on
the serial port on another Mac. The ASCII was used in the same way that
you would program Director to react to keys typed on a computer keyboard
(like A for cue 1, B for cue 2, etc.). There was not a lot of
information being passed in this setup - only cues to start and stop
image sequences. But it worked without any problem and would probably
work on any version of Director.

Wayne

Wayne Siegel
DIEM