Re: Dance Software

Darren Kelly (kelly@x4u2.desy.de)
Tue, 5 May 1998 13:17:44 +0200 (MET DST)

Dear Richard,

I should have read your message before adding my comments to Robert's
in my previous mail. You mention many similar things.

On Mon, 4 May 1998, Richard Povall wrote:
> Robert wrote:
> >
> >We want to be able to get up and have IT happen! We want SATISFACTION!
> >NOW!!! Some of the most enthusiastic supporters of work of this kind have
> >never actually used it very much. I think this goes for choroegraphy
> >softwares as well. In the beginning there is this -- what Germans call the
> >"Aha" effect. Everyone is delighted. at first.
>
> But this also brings up another dilemma. We don't expect people with no
> training of any kind to get out there and just, well, "dance". We don't
> expect people to pick up a saxophone and make beautiful sounds in the first
> five minutes.

[violins = sax]. Indeed it's even harder here, because successful
techniques have already been developed and mastered for these instruments
(constrained ones) over hundreds of years. We are only beginning.

> Of course this is beginning to take on a rather elitist stink - but I don't
> really mean it to. Practice, as they say, makes perfect, and we cannot,
> and should not, expect instant results from instruments that are (and to
> some degree, have to be) difficult to play.
Yep.

> What was their violin playing like, I ask, after only
> three months of playing?

I really should have read your mail first.

> This is not an argument that better software can't be made, because it
> surely can.

It is being made.

Darren

Darren Kelly, DESY -MPY-, Notkestr.85,22603 Hamburg, Germany
Phone:+49-40-8998-4569 Fax:+49-40-8998-4305 Email:kelly@x4u2.desy.de
[NB: Residential address and phone invalid after 25th May 1998]