RE: algorithms for dance

Phyllis G. Douglass (thebridgednc@earthlink.net)
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 15:55:30 -0700

How do I get deleted from this mailing list? I have been trying to get may name removed and I can't seem to do it!?!

----------
From: Richard Povall[SMTP:Richard.Povall@oberlin.edu]
Sent: Thursday, April 16, 1998 1:05 PM
To: dance-tech@lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Subject: Re: algorithms for dance

Nick wrote:

- the
>distinction between algorithmic music and interactive music is rather
>artificial

Nick, I can't agree with you on this one. I work with both approaches to
building music/sound worlds, and, while I might use algorithms in the
making of interactive work, I think the end result is typically completely
different. For me, the purpose of making interactive environments is that
their outcome (whether that be sonic or visual) is rooted in the body and,
in my current work, in the live act of speaking. I find this utterly
different from the process-based approach of making algorithmic pieces
(although they too can be described as "environments" perhaps less
accurately) - and I certainly find the outcomes of those approaches differs
enormously not just in intent but in actuality.

R i c h a r d P o v a l l
Assoc. Prof of Computer Music and New Media / Chair, TIMARA Dept.
MPO Box 0332 TIMARA/Studio 5
Oberlin, OH 44074-0332 USA Oberlin Conservatory of Music
Voice: +1.440.775.1016 Oberlin College
Fax: +1.440.775.8942 Oberlin, OH 44074 USA
email: Richard.Povall@oberlin.edu
website: http://www.timara.oberlin.edu/people/~rpovall/home.html

The Dartmoor Project
High Moorland Business Centre, The Old Duchy Hotel, Princetown, Yelverton,
Devon, PL20 6QJ UK
Voice: +44.(0)1822.890539
Fax: +44.(0)1822.890566
website: http://www.timara.oberlin.edu/people/~rpovall/dartproj.html