Re: selling art...

Phil Rubinoff (prubinoff@wwdc.com)
Thu, 18 Sep 1997 16:02:40 -0500

On 17-Sep-97, Lile Elam wrote:
>Hi folks,

>I just sold a painting night before last and am feeling
>alot of anxiety over letting the piece go...

>In one respect, it's really exciting to sell a painting.
>It's like the person who buys it values it as well and
>therefor is willing to trade something for it.

>But when I think think that I will no longer own the
>painting, I feel scared that I will loose the opportunity
>to see the original again in person... I do archive my work
>on digital cdrom but it can never be quite the same as the
>actual piece of art.

>Even though I sold this piece to someone with whom I will be
>able to keep intouch with so I can visit and see the painting
>from time to time, I am still feeling really nervous about it.

>Am I just being silly? Am I placing too much emotional value
>on this work? Should I just chill out and let it go?

>I did this piece about 6 and a half years ago so I would think
>that I should be able to let it go... I guess I don't feel this
>way about all my work, just some pieces that mean alot to me...

>I had a wierd dream the night I sold it. I dreamed that my
>cats were having babies in my studio. They just abandoned them
>there and the kittens (newly born) just died....

>strange...

>-lile

Hi lile,
No, you aren't being silly. I know exactly how you feel (as do alot of fellow
artnetters , I'm sure). It's a part of your life, one of your kids.
There are just certain times in your life that you have to let things go. It's
not the money. Sure that's nice and it's gratifying, but its more
like moving on, beginning the next thing in your life, be it your garden, or a
new painting. It's called breathing.

As for your dream, I'm no analyst, but, you didn't abandon your painting.
You're sharing it with another person or people.
Art needs to be seen and appreciated by others. It's one of your gifts.
I hope that helps
Hugs from the Great White North

Sigmund Rubinoff